Get a six-pack and clean your floors in one fell swoop.
We do love our Aussies here at Sporteluxe—and celebrity yoga instructor and #abgoals idol Claire Grieve is no exception.
Grieve counts A-listers like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Odell Beckham Jr. as students, so the woman clearly knows her stuff. But the thing we love most about Claire? She makes yoga approachable for everyone—whether they’re heading to the mat to find inner peace, or to increase their hamstring flexibility. Her keen grasp on physical anatomy and how to work certain muscles in order to see results is what makes her so crazy-popular among the celeb set … And why we wanted to pick her brain on the best ab move to do to see results.
Claire breaks down the importance of core strength in everyday life (other than for #abselfies, obviously)
A STRONG CORE STABILIZES YOUR BODY FROM THE INSIDE OUT—WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY IMPORTANT IN YOGA, BUT ALSO IN EVERYDAY LIFE.
“On the mat building your back and ab strength will stabilise your asanas, keep you standing upright, support your balance and increase flexibility in the back. It will also give you the strength and control to rock advanced poses like handstands and arm balances,” she explains.
Her pick for the move that’ll tone, tighten, and sculpt your abdominal muscles? The sliding plank. All you’ll need is a dish towel or hand towel and a smooth floor.
Works: The rectus abdominis (outer abs) transverse abdominis (inner abs) Obliques (side abs), legs, arms, shoulders and back.
- Start in plank position with your feet on a blanket, town or disks.
2. Simultaneously draw both knees in towards your chest using your abdominal muscles
3. Keep your hips parallel to the ceiling, arms straight, shoulders and chest stable.
4. Control your abs as you slide your legs back to plank position.
5. Repeat 10 times. Add more repetitions at your own pace.
6. Add a twist for variation, one leg at a time mountain climbers, or feet towards hands with straight legs.